Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Best Show In Town

It just kills me, when I hear a fellow Scouter tell how he is losing all his boys to other activities. Band, basketball, soccer, etc, etc.

I had the chance to talk to some new folks from 4 different Councils at Winterplace this past weekend. I learned a few things.

There are 2 types of units. Those that continually grow and increase and those that struggle and are barely on the vine. You hear stories like, we have 6 new Life Scouts and are expecting 12 Webelos this spring vs. my older guys have quit and I don't do Cub Scouts any longer.

There is a lot of competition for young people's time today. This isn't the 50's, when there was a Troop at every church, and Scouting was about the only game going. As leaders, we must follow the book and have the BEST show in town. Kids and parents have a choice and will occasionally miss athletic banquets and soccer games, if your deal is better.

Don't let the band director out do you!