Monday, February 12, 2007

The Infant Stage

This past weekend was wonderful. There were 16 of us, from all over the US, attending the course. Folks from TX, OK, NY, and all over the south spent the weekend at the Dubose Conference Center in Monteagle, TN, learning how this new Venturing training is supposed to work.

I say new training, because it is only about 6 years old and is in the infant stage. Heck, there was a major change that rolled out last Thursday and there will probably be more after our conference. This frustrated some folks, but let me be the first to tell you, this is pretty cool.

It is so intense, that you are required to read it directly from the book. That idea cuts across the grain in everything, that we as Scouters have learned. The reason is, that this is so well thought out and planned, that if you tried to memorize it and forgot one word, it could mess up the whole deal. It is that serious.

I got to see several old friends from Powder Horn and I met a lot of great Scouters. Heck, I learned as much from them, outside of class, as I did in class. No surprise.

I guess the first thing to do is a pilot course with the crew and hopefully do one for the Council, maybe next summer.