Thursday, March 15, 2007

Friendly

I guess that I am like most folks. I go home and shut the door and hardly ever look out. "City folk" my Dad used to say.

We had a good rain last evening around 5:00. When it finally stopped, the sun came out, and to the east was the most brilliant double rainbow I have ever seen. The colors were distinct and you could see it all the way to the ground. It was only a hundred yards away. You could almost touch it. I didn't see a pot of gold though.

What I did experience was a brief moment of awe and friendliness. Everyone up and down College Street came outside and looked. Neighbors, office workers, and random people who were just walking, stopped what they were doing and interacted with one another in the most friendly way. Smiles, waves, and nice comments were abound.

The sun moved on and the spectacular rainbow faded. For 2 minutes, Pikeville stopped whatever we were doing, and looked upwards and outwards toward each other.

It was friendly. I wish that we could do it everyday.