Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sad Robbery

I was doing some research the other day and learned that there was a robbery in 1929 at Pax Hill, the home of Baden Powell. I couldn't find much on it, so I asked Colin Walker over in England about it. Colin is a dedicated researcher of Scouting. His Scouting Milestones web site is wonderful. This is what he told me:

There was a robbery at Pax Hill. Mainly silver items were taken - these have never been listed for public disclosure to my knowledge. I can deduce however some of things that may have been taken being aware of some of B-Ps treasures that have never been seen since that time. I have spoken to members of B-P's family about the break-in and it was quite extensive.

One of the items that I am certain was stolen was a model made in solid silver in the Railway Workships in the Mafeking of the 'The Wolf Gun'- this is documented in my book 'Mafeking's Artillery'.

There were only five- I seem to remember, of these made. All of the other examples are known - but nothing on the B-P one since the robbery. This leads me to think it has been melted down. Most of the other stuff would have been equally distinquishable and/or engraved and so if sold would have been traceable.