Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Healthy Troop

There are many tell tale signs of how healthy a Boy Scout Troop is, in delivering the program. Recharter numbers, advancement reports, Roundtable attendance, active at District and Council events, but the #1 sign is if they go to Summer Camp or not.

We had our final payment for McKee last night and it looks like we have at least 11 and maybe 2 more youth going this year. That is about 80% (including Staff guys) which is good, but it is the other 20% that bothers me.

It is almost impossible for a Troop to offer some of the Merit Badges that you can get at Summer Camp. The experience in itself is priceless.

I just know, six months from now, I'm going to be asked "Why didn't my son get his 2nd Class?" (That person didn't hear my 2 speeches, didn't pay attention to the Camp promo DVD, and ignored my 3 letters.)

I'll just look down and back up, straight into their eyes and say, "He missed Summer Camp at McKee".