Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Happy Birthday Scouting!







Today is special. It is the 100th anniversary since Baden Powell took a group of kids out to Brownsea Island for the first time. I was up at 4:45 am to get ready for our special Sunrise Ceremony today. The only other thing up and about was a group of baby ducks behind our camp site.
We arrived at the arena at 7:00 and the ceremony started at 7:50 with a live link from Brownsea Island and the Scouts there. Remember now, Nathan Watson from STC was there representing the BSA. It made me cry when all 40,000 of us gave the Scout Sign and renewed our dedication by repeating the Scout Oath. We shook hands with each other afterwards. I bet I shook hands with Scouts and Scouters from 10 different countries. We were then blessed by all of the major religions in the world.
We are all brothers and friends. We are all Scouts and together we can change the world for a better place.
Following that phrase, two huge flocks of doves were released and flew in circles over our heads.
B.P.'s grandson. Lord Robert B. Powell spoke and delivered what his grandfather wanted read aloud when he passed away. "Leave this world a little better than you found it. Have a happy life and good camping".
After lunch we had a big Sub Camp party in which every Troop fixed some food to taste. We did Derby Pie, bourbon fudge, some corn spoons, lotion, and Kentucky pins. I tried everything. Some of it was strange, but most of it was great.
It has been one of the greatest days in my life. I'm 45 today and only have one thing on my mind.
Those little ducks this morning, I wonder when they grow up, will they say QUACK or QUOCK?