Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Lashings

We worked on several of the basic lashings last night at our Troop meeting. It was a good review for the older guys and the new Scouts caught on to it pretty quickly.

I was mainly looking for good technique and proper placement of the rope. Nothing fancy with binder twine and tobacco sticks. I was pleased with what they did and I believe they enjoyed it also.

I've always loved lashing sticks together since I was a
Scout. Pioneering Merit Badge is about the only one that I will volunteer to teach. I thought I was good until we went to the World Jamboree.

These 2 pictures are from a gateway at Gilwell. It is truly the best lashing work that I have ever seen! These are milled poles that are bound together with hemp rope. Not a nail or screw in this baby.

I would have loved to have been on the team that built that project. It is a far cry from binder twine and tobacco sticks.


Scouts from Brazil lashing up their gateway.