Monday, June 1, 2009

Mr. Barnes

June 1, 2009

Mark, Michael, Matthew, Martin, and Marlin:


It is with deep regret that I have just read the “Kentucky Standard’s” online edition and have learned about your father’s death. Mr. Barnes was truly a great influence in my life to say the least.


Those Scouting days back in the 1970’s with Troop 142 made a huge impact in my life. Being an Eagle Scout at the American Legion Post was something back then. Camp Covered Bridge, Rough River Reservation, Kay Hibb’s Lake, and all of the other camp outs and meetings were just a wonderful time in my life.


It made me cry, when the obituary stated that: He was the founding Scoutmaster of Boy Scout Troop #142 of Bardstown. Indeed he was, and I understand that it still continues strong today at the Methodist Church. What a wonderful legacy!


Myself, I reside in Pikeville, KY and am still active with the Boy Scouts of America. I started a Troop a few years ago, and continue to camp and hike just like we did so many years ago.


Your father may be gone in body, but his influence and spirit, carries on still today and will so, long into the future.


I can still hear his voice, every time I take a bunch of kids camping, and I tell them all the great stories about “My Old Scoutmaster”, Wayne Barnes and Troop 142.


Yours in Scouting,

Barry Goff