Friday, May 13, 2016

Arrow Of Light Knot NOT!!!!


I was a Cub Scout in Pack 258 in Bardstown, KY.  I can still remember our Wolf and Bear Den Meetings after school in the Hambley's basement.  Our Pack meetings were once a month at the K of C Hall.  I still have all of my Pinewood Derby cars.  Webelos was a one year program at that time.  We started out with a bang!  My group had been together for 2 years and the Webelos leader was very experienced with 5 years in that role.  I earned a bunch of activity pins along the way.  Then all of a sudden it stopped.  Just a couple of months away from earning the Arrow of Light.

I joined Troop 142 a bit later and had a very good Boy Scout experience.  Eagle Scout, God and Country - Baptist, Philmont, O.A. Brotherhood; but I missed the chance on the Arrow of Light forever.

Fast forward to 1999.  My son Will joins Tiger Cubs with Pack 12.  "I, personally, do not have time to be a leader" (I was wrong).  He had a great year.  As a family, we attended many events and camp outs.  Wolf for Will was even better.  A wonderful Den Leader and a group of around 12 or so.  Then all of a sudden it stopped.  Pack 12 recharters, but nothing on any level is going on.  We move Will to Pack 804 in Mullins for his Bear year.  I help out a bit more.  I was in charge of the Rain Gutter Regatta and it went well.

Now it is the summer of 2002.  I've decided, that since I didn't receive my Arrow of Light, that my son and his friends would.  I starting reading and planning.  One of Will's friends, Aaron Shepherd is over at our house to play.  When his father comes to pick Aaron up, I mention to him about Webelos.  Aaron's Dad, Mike explains to me that his older son Michael, tried Scouts and it didn't work out.

I volunteered as a Webelos Den Leader.  The Cub Master quits 2 days later, and  I became the Cub Master too.  By the way, I finally talked Aaron's Dad into giving Webelos a chance.



This was the 2002-2003 Webelos Den.

This was the 2003-2004 Webelos Den.  Billy Z. Den Chief.

All of the Webelos pictured above earned their Arrow Of Light and joined Troop 12.