Friday, March 9, 2007

Back To The Basics

We are heading up to McKee this weekend to work on some Tenderfoot and Second Class skills for the new guys. The menu that they planned includes hot dogs, noodles, spaghetti, and a few other odd choices.

We'll do half of the PMT to get a 5 mile hike in. I figure that we'll take a right, instead of a left, after Grape Knob. That is close to 5 miles. We've got maps and compasses.

Saturday afternoon, the plan is to work on Totin' Chip and Firem'n Chit. The older guys are teaching and can earn the Paul Bunyon, if they teach it correctly.

One of the things that we do in our Troop, that happened in my old Troop, is that, if a Scout messes up with a knife or fire, the Scoutmaster tears a corner off the card and literally eats it. I've chewed up and swallowed several. It makes a lasting impression.

Hey, if I don't like what they cook this weekend, I can hang out while they whittle and get a bite to eat!