Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Flag Ceremony

We have been doing a lot of flag ceremonies lately and have a few more to do. This Sunday will be our Scout Sunday at the First Presbyterian Church. We'll be presenting the colors at the Pike County Friends of Scouting dinner next Tuesday. The following Tuesday will be our Court of Honor and the 3rd anniversary of Troop 12.

I am always proud of our Scouts, but never more proud, when they perform a flag ceremony! It brings a tear to my eye every time.

My old pal Bill Gay and I go way back. I'll never forget when I was promoted to Senior D.E. in Lexington. He came by to see me and complain that the District's Boy Scout activities were in shambles and needed leadership. Guess who got the job? Bill Gay, Stuart Conley, and Troop 98 pretty much ran the show and it was awesome. The only thing that Bill wanted was a can of sardines every outing. YUCK!!

Bill very politely reminded me after the Council Banquet that nothing comes before, or in front of, the US flag. We did the criss cross thing, with the US flag going first, followed by our Troop flag. He is correct and we will work on that a bit tonight.