Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Wood Badge

"Wood Badge is the greatest training that you'll ever have the chance to do in Scouting. If you don't think it is worth the money, I'll personally write you a refund check".

I've stood up and said that often. I've never had to write a refund check. It really is that good.

Way back in 1986, as a D.E. in Thoroughbred District, I got some junk mail from Cincinnati about a Wood Badge course. I didn't look at it and threw it in the trash. However, while eating a sandwich at my desk, I pulled it out of the garbage for something to read.

EC336X was going to be an experimental Wood Badge, like the very first Wood Badge, and the Scoutmaster was going to be William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt. I made copies and mailed them out.

We knew it was going to be legendary. It was. Check these names:

Don Stanko Beaver

Allen Arth Bob White

Barry Goff Eagle

Kevin Willis Fox

Barry Brandenburg Owl

Tom Peek Bear

Johnnie Ross Buffalo

Don Bryson Antelope

We were all from the Blue Grass Council and all in different Patrols. Everyone has received the Silver Beaver. I think Mr. Hillcourt would be proud.

Each participant received 2 of these 1936 - 1986 Gillwell One patches.