Thursday, February 15, 2007

13 Year Old Eagle Scouts

I received a nice Eagle Court of Honor invitation from a young man who has earned the award. He is a fifth generation Boy Scout and his father was an Eagle also. WOW!

A lot of folks in our movement wouldn't be so excited about this, because of his age. Some would even question his work. Others would tell him to his face that he is too young. I should know, I was a 13 year old Eagle Scout too and all of this happened to me.

I've heard that some Scouters "make their kids wait until they are at least 16" to earn the Eagle rank. "They are more mature then". I agree with the maturity thought. Heck, there is a huge difference between 12 and 13.

My pal, who has now moved back to NY, Mike Kilbourne, has personally been involved with over 300 Eagles and he has seen all ages. He and I agree, that if the boy has met the requirements, than he has earned the rank. Maturity is not a requirement.

Now, if you feel that this is wrong, I would suggest that you write the National Office and have them change the requirements. Until, they are changed, I'm following the book and won't add my personal ideals to what should be done.

Congratulations to all Eagle Scouts!
(Regardless of age)