Tuesday, February 6, 2007

The Mississippi Skank



Last year's NOAC up in Michigan was a hoot! I hadn't been to a NOAC, since I was on staff in Maine and they wanted a few of us to go down to Rutgers, NJ and promote the program. That was '83; fast forward to '06.
O.K., I had never been to MI and our mouthy contingent leader, Benjamin Alexander, just bragged and bragged how about how cool it was. It was hot, but that is another story.

My version of "the story" goes like this: It was early one morning and we were getting ready to go to breakfast. I was wearing my Scout pants and one of those customized O.A. shirts that you can order out of the catalog. This really ugly women, tells me that "I look cool and fresh". I thanked her and told her, it was a Christmas present. I told her we were from KY and she said she was from Mississippi. Good enough, but nooooooooooo. Alexander is giving me all sorts of crap about my "new gal from MS".

NOAC was winding down and the big day was Founder's Day. Kind of like Mardi Gras, only Boy Scout style. Parade, give away things, and a general sense of great fun. People are every where. A bunch of us from Kawida were up on a 2nd story balcony, overlooking the crowd. Alexander has one of the white ghost flaps, with a string on it, fishing for grabbers on the ground. Everyone grabbed at it, but he would always yank it up, before anyone could get it. Then a BIG FISH came from no where and snatched it off the line. We all looked over and it was the old gal from MS. She offered it back, but he said to keep it. Next thing you know, she is up on the balcony with us, sitting in his lap, and trading patches and phone numbers.
It was love among skanks.